[acc-cca-l] Decimal Speakers Series, Jan 28 5:30-7:30PM Toronto

Isabel Pedersen Isabel.Pedersen at uoit.ca
Thu Jan 24 07:06:52 MST 2019

Just a reminder. Come out next Monday night in Toronto to hear two great talks:

Tero Karppi, PhD, Assistant Professor, University of Toronto, "Disconnect. Facebook's Futures?"

Andrew Iliadis, PhD, Assistant Professor, Temple University, "Semantic Media: Who's Building Meaning into our Machines?"

Invitation to the Decimal Lab Speakers Series at the Centre for Social Innovation, Toronto.

Please join us on January 28, 2019, 5:30PM, we will feature two speakers:

Andrew Iliadis, PhD, Temple University
Semantic Media: Who’s Building Meaning into our Machines?

Abstract: Since Google declared, in a 2012 blog post, that they would begin focusing on “things, not strings” there has been renewed interest in semantically enhancing web data. As the amount of data on the internet grows, there is a need to structure those data to produce semantic interoperability and increase understanding. To this end, tools like metadata schemas, knowledge graphs, and applied ontologies are experiencing a resurgence. Yet, along with increasing our ability to make sense of data through semanticization, there are identifiable problems related to interoperability that may negatively impact people, practices, and places. This talk explores semantic media technologies by asking if they are appropriate for modeling all kinds of knowledge, and how such modeling affects access and control​.

Tero Karppi, PhD, Assistant Professor, University of Toronto
Disconnect. Facebook’s Futures?

Abstract: After the Cambridge Analytica revelations, #DeleteFacebook hashtag became a trend. #DeleteFacebook was the crystallization of the demands to leave the social media site because it was compromising privacy, exploiting user data, and the connections it established could be used to manipulate the current political climate. In this talk, I show that the demands to disconnect Facebook have existed almost as long as the social media site. Furthermore, I argue that this threat of disconnection is constitutive to how Facebook understands user engagement and builds its affective bonds. Facebook’s futures depend on disconnection and are designed against its different modes and modalities.