[acc-cca-l] New Book Announcement: Appified: Culture in the Age of Apps

Jeremy Morris jwmorris2 at wisc.edu
Thu Dec 20 09:36:07 MST 2018

Dear colleagues,

We're very excited to let you know "Appified: Culture in the Age of Apps" is officially out. We asked each author to write a critical-cultural review of a single app and then use that as a starting point to connect to issues in digital culture more broadly. You can find out more about the collection at the University of Michigan Press site<https://www.press.umich.edu/9391658/appified> (h/t to Mary Francis, our editor) and while we’re likely too late to make it on to any of your holiday gift lists, we’re hoping it’ll be of some value for courses next semester. We’ve attached a brief summary of the TOC below, but email me if you need any more info on (or access to) any of the chapters:

App Annie - Patrick Vonderau
Ashley Madison - Ben Light
Tencent MyApp (Yingyong Bao) - Luzhou Nina Li
Exodus International - Tarleton Gillespie
TaskRabbit - Sarah Sharma
Carrot - Sarah Murray
See Send - Greg Elmer and Bahar Nasirzadeh
Is It Tuesday? - Jeremy Morris
LoseIt! - Natasha Schüll
Fitbit - Kate O’Riordan
Tinder - Stefanie Duguay
Hollaback! - Carrie Rentschler
The Sex Offender Tracker App - Sharif Mowlabocus
Companion - Elizabeth Ellcessor
Yik Yak - Tamara Shepherd and Christopher Cwynar
WeChat - Finn Brunton
Snapchat - Jill Walker Rettberg
Foursquare - Germaine Halegoua
WhatsApp - Radhika Gajjala and Tarishi Verma
This. Reader - Devon Powers
Periscope - Megan Sapnar Ankerson
Tubi TV - Gerard Goggin
Hillary 2016 - Fenwick McKelvey
Shazam - Elena Razlogova
iMaschine 2 - Victoria Simon
Here: Active Listening System - Mack Hagood
RuPaul’s Drag Race Keyboard - Kate Miltner
DraftKings - Jason Kido Lopez
Kendall & Kylie - Jessalynn Keller and Alison Harvey
Neko Atsume - Shira Chess

Some kind words about the collection:

“The theoretical and methodological breadth is impressive. From the popular to the forgotten, from casual games to rape reporting, these chapters weave a rich tapestry of the multiple meanings of apps for politics, society, and everyday life.”
—Amelia Arsenault, Georgia State University

 “Morris and Murray have assembled an all-star cast to reveal the spectacular power of the software in all of our pockets. Appified is an essential collection for students and scholars of digital media culture, and all who seek to understand the indelible imprint of apps on our daily lives.”
—Jennifer Holt, University of California, Santa Barbara

That’s all. Thanks for your time.

https://www.press.umich.edu/9391658/appified

Jeremy Morris and Sarah Murray

****