[acc-cca-l] news about IAMCR's 2019 conference in Madrid

Bruce Girard bgirard at iamcr.org
Wed Dec 12 15:02:49 MST 2018

Last week IAMCR's newsletter was sent to members. It included
information about our upcoming conference, some of which we include here
for the benefit of non-members (who are welcome to join IAMCR and/or to
attend the conference).

Hosted by the Complutense University in Madrid, Spain, the conference
will take place from 7 - 11 July 2019. The conference website is at
https://iamcr.org/madrid2019 in English and
https://iamcr.org/es/madrid2019-es in Spanish.

You can consult the general call for proposals
<https://iamcr.org/madrid2019/cfp> as well as the specific calls of
IAMCR's 32 thematic sections and working groups
<https://iamcr.org/madrid2019/s-wg-cfp>.

All proposals must be submitted through IAMCR's Open Conference System
(OCS) at https://iamcr-ocs.org
<https://iamcr-ocs.org/index.php/2019/2019>. The OCS site opened on 3
December and will remain open to receive your proposals until the *8
February 2019 deadline*.

The newsletter included a letter from Loreto Corredoira
<https://iamcr.org/news/letter-from-2019-loc>, head of the local
organising committee. Among other things, Loreto announced the names of
two invited speakers: Spanish philosopher, essayist and playwright,
Javier Gomá
<https://iamcr.org/madrid2019/javier-gom%C3%A1-will-open-iamcr-madrid-2019>,
and Cuban blogger, Yoani Sánchez
<https://iamcr.org/madrid2019/yoani-s%C3%A1nchez-will-share-colloquium-participants-iamcr-madrid-2019>.

Members were also reminded that IAMCR will make several awards and
grants available to its members in 2019. The deadline to apply is 7
April 2019. Awards include:

  * the IAMCR 2019 award in memory of Herbert I. Schiller - US$1,000
    awarded to a student or young scholar, member of IAMCR, for an
    outstanding paper accepted for presentation at IAMCR 2019.
  * the UCF/IAMCR Urban Communication Research Grant
  * the New Directions for Climate Communication Research Fellowship
  * twenty IAMCR Travel Grants for early-stage scholars
    <https://iamcr.org/travel_grants/travel-grants-2019> - up to
    US$1,500 for members who are early-stage scholars and would
    otherwise be unable to attend our conferences. Applicants must have
    a proposal accepted for presentation at the conference.

Finally, don't forget the experiment with video presentations being
conducted by 5 sections and working groups. Their joint call for video
presentations <https://iamcr.org/madrid2019/cfp/video> is on the 2019
website.

--
| Bruce Girard |