[Alta-Logic] Terry Horgan talk tomorrow in Philosophy

Richard Zach rzach at ucalgary.ca
Thu Oct 13 13:19:00 MDT 2011

The Sleeping Beauty problem is really neat. Should be a fun talk.

http://phil.ucalgary.ca/node/795

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeping_Beauty_problem

Friday Oct 14, 4pm, Social Sciences Building, Room 1253

"Generalized Conditionalization and the Sleeping Beauty Problem"

About the Paper

I will begin with an opinionated overview of philosophical debate about
the Sleeping Beauty Problem.  I will summarize Adam Elga's arguments for
the 1/3 solution, David Lewis's argument (in reply to Elga) for the 1/2
solution, the "double halfer" position that I originally favored (and is
defended by Joel Pust), my conversion experience from double halfism to
thirdism, my post-conversion argument (different from Elga's arguments)
for the 1/3 position, Pust's critique of my argument, my response to
Pust, and Pust's subsequent response to me.  I will then summarize a new
argument for the 1/3 conclusion, presented by Anna Mahtani and me in our
paper "Generalized Conditionalization and the Sleeping Beauty
Problem" (Erkenntnis, in press).  This argument entirely evades Pust's
objection to my earlier argument, and also evades another objection that
Pust raises against numerous pro-thirder and pro-halfer arguments in the
literature.  The various arguments and counter-arguments will be
presented in a way that maximizes intuitiveness and minimizes
technicality.
About the Speaker

Terry Horgan is Professor of Philosophy at the University of Arizona.
He has published numerous articles in the areas of metaphysics,
epistemology, mind, and metaethics.  His most recent book, Austere
Realism: Contextual Semantics Meets Minimal Ontology (with M. Potrc) was
published by MIT in 2008.